Ahhhhh.....we're all settled in. WHAT a wonderful feeling! No more back and forth. No more stressful renovations. No more packing. No more answering Ethan's question of "Can we sleep at the new house?" with "Not yet, buddy." WE LIVE HERE!!! And it's awesome. Here's why:
1) I can pull into the garage and unload my groceries directly into the kitchen. Well, let's just start with the fact that we have a garage. We still need to figure out how to change the code on one of the garage doors though because the across-the-street neighbors' opener also opens our door.
2) I can walk around my bed without turning sideways. (That's how small our old master bedroom was.)
3) The boys have been playing in the backyard every day. In fact, on the first day here, they were watching their morning TV and I gently suggested that they might want to go play outside because it was going to start raining (the extent of Hurricane Irene here in way-inland-Virginia). Normally, Ethan whines if he has to turn off the TV, but he hopped off the couch OF HIS OWN VOLITION, turned off the TV and headed immediately out to the sandbox. And when they are outside, they can't get out of the yard and it is S.I.L.E.N.T inside. Ahhhhh.....
4) When it rains, the boys can ride their bikes like maniacs and punch the daylights out of the used punching bag that hangs in the garage. I'm realizing just how much the boys were missing all these energy busters at the townhouse.
5) I can feed the boys directly at the kitchen counter. This makes for easy prep, easy serving and easy cleanup. I think we've used the actual dining room once since Thursday.
6) My laundry room is in the master bathroom closet. Although I absolutely detest doing laundry, I did a load on Saturday, and it was so easy I was almost giddy. Unfortunately, it does not make actually folding the laundry you do any easier. Turns out I still have to do that...
7) Two sinks in our master bathroom. Previously, Dave and I had a decent size bathroom with one sink. Getting ready together usually involved one of us sitting around waiting for the other one to be done. NOW...we can both brush our teeth at the same time!!!! Or, I can wash my face while he brushes his teeth!! It's amazing.
8) The neighbors are great! On moving day, the next door neighbor came over with cookies, and over the past month and a half since we've owned this house, we've met people from way down the street who have gone out of their way to welcome us here. Of course, it doesn't quite make up for our wonderful neighbors at our townhouse who we will also miss. (You know who you are.)
9) Dual zone AC. I love that there isn't this battle to figure out what temperature to set the first level at so that the second level isn't stifling and vice versa. And we seem to be able to keep the temperatures higher in this house, probably because there aren't four floors to regulate?
10) This house totally suits our needs. Every kid has tons of space. We have a playroom to contain the toys. We have a garage. We have a yard. We have a porch. We have a great kitchen for entertaining (and with all the church ministry opportunities that Dave and I have found ourselves a part of in the last few weeks - another blog post - we need it!) There's room to grow but it's not overwhelmingly large. So happy...
P.S. Pictures to come when there aren't boxes stacked along the walls and when curtains are hung by something other than a tack.
Real, Redeemed Marriages: When Hormones Attack - *Hey, Warrior Wives! Today you are privileged to read Lily's story of how out-of-control hormones nearly destroyed their marriage. I hope you are encoura...
1 day ago